[OpenLayers-Users] Question on using Google Maps API on top of OpenLayers

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon Jul 16 23:43:45 EDT 2007

On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 07:45:29PM -0600, Mike Carsella wrote:
> I'm new to OpenLayers, so bear with me...
>
> I'm creating an OpenLayers map and adding Google Maps as a layer.  What I'd like to do is then use the the Google Maps API to pop up an info window using openinfowindow or openinfowindowhtml.  Does OpenLayers expose the GMap2 object?  Is what I want to do possible?  Any help would be appreciated.

In general, the way OpenLayers works is to *not* expose the lower level
interface -- in fact, if you just want to use the Google Maps API, you
probably want to be using something like Mapstraction
(http://www.mapstraction.com/) instead of OpenLayers.

However, you can use the OpenLayers.Popup classes. These are kinda hairy
compared to Google's library, probably, but they do exist. examples in
examples/popups.html

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta