[OpenLayers-Users] javascript lessons / learning

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Fri Jul 20 03:43:02 EDT 2007

Hi Guys,

Via some clean user-googlemaps-code (maps.js in
http://www.liveearthalert.nl/page/googlemap/) I stumbled upon the
javascript lib mootools (http://www.mootools.net/).
(By the way is openlayers not using prototype anymore?)

Mootools has a post for beginning (and mediocre) javascript coders:
http://blog.mootools.net/2007/6/5/help-i-dont-know-javascript.
Especially the yahoo-video's of douglas crockford were an eyeopener for me!

Concluding:
- if you want to understand a little more about some constructs/concepts
in Openlayers, or want to learn how to code javascript a little cleaner:
do take some time to view the video's of douglas crockford and  Nicholas
Zakas: http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?ei=UTF-8&b=4&vid=568351&gid=133414
- really have a look at the documentation of firebug (I was using it,
but didn't know it had so much possibilities): still using alerts? read:
  http://www.getfirebug.com/logging.html
- still not using the debugging features of firebug? see
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=111597
- wouldn't it be nice to have something like
http://blog.mootools.net/2007/6/5/help-i-dont-know-javascript in the
openlayers (users) wiki?

After seeing all this,
http://www.liveearthalert.nl/static/javascript/maps.js showed me a nice
example to organize (application) code. Look a lot better then mine. Is
it an idea to add such an example in the examples, using the Openlayers
constructs (use a 'namespace', use the Ajax and 'class' code of OL,
organize your constants etc etc)?

Richard Duivenvoorde

ps: I do understand this is probably nothing new for the OL-dev-guys
themselves, but posted for all the humble webapp builders
(OL-users-guys) like me ;-)