[OpenLayers-Users] Tuning Open Layers

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon Jul 23 09:16:28 EDT 2007

On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 02:00:09PM +0100, Joanne Cook wrote:
> Does it also assume that the page you are calling it from is in the directory above lib?

No, it shouldn't. If it does, that's a bug. I'd like to see it filed if
you can make an HTML page available on the web which demonstrates it.

> Mine is not, and it doesn't work. I have copied the img folder into the same directory as the page I am calling from (the root directory of my web server) and that seems to work.
>
> Can I remove some of the stuff from the openlayers directories to save space now?

With a single file build, only the img/, theme/ and OpenLayers.js files
matter -- everything else (art/, build/, doc/, examples/, tests/,
tools/) can be deleted.

You might want to investigate HTTP Compression, especially if the images
you are serving are not jpgs:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/web/library/wa-httpcomp/

via mod_gzip through apache.

Christopher Schmidt