[OpenLayers-Users] writing to my own wfs server

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri Jul 27 15:40:46 EDT 2007

On Fri, Jul 27, 2007 at 02:46:50PM -0400, Burgholzer,Robert wrote:
> Ahh yes, double-drat!
>
> Don't suppose anyone has put together any PostGIS functions in
> openlayers that will permit writing a WKT feature directly to a PostGIS
> server? I am really dreading the prospect of another map-serving entity
> on my machine.

If you mean something that allows you to talk to PostGIS directly from a
web browser... I can't imagine how that would work. You're going to need
some kind of layer inbetween that speaks a non-binary language.

FeatureServer is a Python CGI that is designed to speak a variety of
languages on the input side and output side, and is designed to be as
little work as possible to install. However, it requires some level of
configuration, and it is likely, or even possible, that you would be
better off with GeoServer.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta