[OpenLayers-Users] How is feature select detection implemented?

bkausbk bkausbk at web.de
Tue Jun 5 07:41:30 EDT 2007

Dear OpenLayers Users and Developers,

I'm currently studying implementation of OpenLayers components with the aim to
extend it by a specific function. (More later)

I took /examples/select-feature.html for example. If you draw polygons there and
move the mouse over the window each time the mouse is hovering over a polygon
the mouse pointer changes to "hand pointer" and resets to default pointer as
soon as I'm leaving polygon area. But I didn't find any code which is
responsible for this.

In my understanding we need to implement a kind of "hittest" which is able to
detect if a given point is within polygon area. This must be called somewhere in
  OnMouseOver Handler. The only thing I found was OpenLayer.Geometry.atPoint,
but since it is calling OpenLayers.Bounds.containsLonLat whereby
OpenLayer.Bounds only represents rectangular areas this method couldn't be
responsible for this.

How and where is it implemented?

What I want to do is extending OpenLayers by a function to detect:

1. If there are Geometry objects which are intersecting each other
2. Which of the polygons are intersecting (overlaping) each other
3. Find intersection points of specified polygons

regards

Benjamin Kalytta