[OpenLayers-Users] Error in markers location on zooming

david delannoy david.delannoy at avignon.inra.fr
Wed Jun 6 08:58:07 EDT 2007

Christopher Schmidt a écrit :
> On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 09:47:30AM +0200, david delannoy wrote:
>
>> Just to say that the problem is solved; It was a bug corrected in the
>> 2.4 release and evoked for the first time in the "Turning on/off layers
>> depending on zoom level
>> <http://openlayers.org/pipermail/users/2007-April/001440.html>" object
>> mail from the user mailing list. However I'm a bit surprised not to have
>> answers on this list; that is the second time that it happens. Is it
>> cause I don't explain clearly the problem or cause the solution is too
>> obvious?
>>

> In order to determine which emails I respond to, I take the highly
> scientific method of generating a random number between 1 and 10. If
> it's less than 5, I think for a minute, if it's greater than or equal to
> 5, I think for a minute, and in either case, I then completely ignore
> the number generated and reply based on whether I feel like it or not.
>
> Sometimes Open Source means you need to open the source. At the moment,
> nobody gets paid to support OpenLayers users (or if they are, they're
> not telling me about it), and even if there was such a role, it would
> likely be limited in scope. Expecting a response in the 1-2 days
> timeframe is simply not realistic -- but there's always the oppourtunity
> to hire someone to investigate the problem for you, because the code is
> there.
>
> In this case, you were seeing the result of a marker icon not having
> calculateOffset set, adn not having a correct offset. Prior to 2.4, the
> correct offset was not enough, but we fixed that. There is probably
> insufficient documentation on this problem. However, there is
> insufficient documentation on about 75% of OpenLayers, and this isn't my
> highest personal documentation priority.
>

>> My last email was about changing marker icon on mouseover
>> event; If you have a solution, I would apreciate it.
>>

> Investigate events, and look at the internals of markers and icons for
> where the image attribute is stored. There is no API to do what you're
> looking for, but it is possible.
>
> Regards,

I see that my email has been taken very agressively. I 'm sorry cause
that was not my first intention. Like most people on this list, I'm
trying to do my best to understand the code. When I encounter a problem,
I try first to solve it myself :  I went into the source code but I'm
not an expert in Javascript developpement and this code is not easy to
understand. If I don't find the solution, I ask to the communauty; and
that's what I did. I really appreciate what you have done with
Openlayers; that's a real plus for the developpers and users
communities. You're right, I should be more patient and I'm sorry for
that...This is just that I worked hardly yerterday evening to find a
solution; anyway, that's not an excuse.

Regards,
David

--