[OpenLayers-Users] Design advice please

Jerry O'Sullivan jeremiahosullivan at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 13:30:01 EDT 2007

Hi All,

I am looking at building an openlayers projects which will be pretty simple,
base data with some points on top. Users will be able to click on the points
to get extra info or link to another page. My questions is about the best
way to display these points. I can see the following options

1) Serve points as a WFS layer from geoserver and registers a click event on
the map to get info
2) Serve points as a WMS layer from geoserver and registers a click event on
the map to get info
3) Roll my own Ajax function to pull coordinates out of the points file and
create a new vector.marker layer.

I wold appreciate any advice/suggestions people may have at to the best
approach to take in terms of speed, scalability and maintainability.

There will be about 150,000 points to begin with but it could rise to about
400,000. These will probably only be displayed at large zoom levels (i.e.
small area)

Thanks in advance
Jerry