[OpenLayers-Users] is tilecache addess a wms address?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed May 2 11:09:32 EDT 2007

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 04:24:10PM +0200, andy wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm playng a lot with openlayers and tilecache: I'm very impressed. All
> it's simply to install and configure, and we have very good results.
>
> I have configured an OpenLayers layer with thi kind of parameters:
> var mylayer = new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS( "My Layer",
> "http://www.myserver.com/tilecache/tilecache.cgi", {layers: 'My layer
> title', format: 'image/jpeg'});
>
> The above url is a wms URL? Could I use a wms client and this url to
> access to the above layer? If yes which is the right url syntax?

Not really. It behaves like a WMS, to a certain extent, but most WMS
requests will fail. It does conform to:

http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/WMS_Tiling_Client_Recommendation

And has an appropriate GetCapabilities document which describes the
parameters under which tiles can be accessed. However, I don't know of a
WMS-C client other than OpenLayers.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta