[OpenLayers-Users] reason why there needs to be ArcIMS support in OpenLayers

Mike Quentel mikequentel at yahoo.com
Thu May 3 13:38:31 EDT 2007

True, ArcIMS has a WMS Connector that creates WMS capabilities XML files based on ArcIMS map services.  The connector (servlet) then translates WMS requests into ArcXML requests to the ArcIMS server (ArcXML is an XML used by ESRI software).  It also returns results that WMS clients can consume.  Works for the most part as expected; however, it has limitations....

So, you might think that if you already have the ArcIMS WMS Connector, then what's the point of having ArcIMS support in OpenLayers?

Answer: ArcIMS WMS Connector does not support SLD filters.  So, if you want to filter a set of features (i.e., just draw a map of features selected from an attribute in a table), not from a GetFeatureInfo request (which is like a mouse click on the map--based on x y coord query), ArcIMS WMS Connector will not help.  See http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=64&f=784&t=215215&mc=6

An ESRI representative confirmed that the WMS Connector does not support SLD filters (though, it supports some other use of SLD).

ESRI have not provided readable source code for the WMS Connector--it is obfuscated.  So, trying to extend the connector is a bit of work; one would probably be better off rolling their own WMS connector.

So, that's why I'd love to see ArcIMS support in OpenLayers.  For now, I am looking into ways to query ArcIMS (using 9.1 sp2), and return the filtered features URL in a way that OpenLayers can consume the resulting image.  Another possibility would be to see how ArcIMS might support WFS.

ESRI are not very supportive of open source software--it interferes with their sales of ArcGIS Server.  From what I can see, MapServer and GeoServer offer better support for WMS than ArcIMS does.

Anyone with advice on extending OL for attribute queries in ArcIMS, please do share.

Thanks.

Mike Quentel