[OpenLayers-Users] Strange bug (?) in OpenLayers 2.4rc3 vs 2.2

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue May 8 16:46:02 EDT 2007

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 08:51:36PM +0100, Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm getting a strange effect if I use a Mercator projection WMS server with a
> bounding box which can take negative values in 2.4rc3 or the SVN version,
> which I didn't get in 2.2.
>
> Looking at the URL constructed to get the tiles, it appears to be URL-encoding
> the commas which messes up the bbox.
>
> i.e. the URL I get for the tiles in 2.4-rc3 is something like:
>
> http://www.free-map.org.uk/cgi-bin/render?BBOX=-80000%2C6595000%2C-75000%2C6600000
> &WIDTH=500&HEIGHT=500
>
> rather than in 2.2:
>
> http://www.free-map.org.uk/cgi-bin/render?BBOX=-80000,6595000,-75000,6600000
> &WIDTH=500&HEIGHT=500

> Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

This is a change, but not a bug. In general, I'd expect that your server
code would take care of converting this for you. I'm really surprised
that it doesn't. (What are you using for CGI?)

In any case, this is meeting the WMS spec more closely. Before, we were
breaking some WMS servers -- in this case, we've broken your WMS-ish
server, but we were both breaking the spec before, and now OpenLayers is
in the right ;)

If it's difficult to work around this in your server-side code, let me
know, and I'll come up with a hack you can apply to make OpenLayers stop
doing this on your page.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta