[OpenLayers-Users] Google and Markers and Vectors ... oh my!

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Nov 28 10:57:53 EST 2007

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 10:36:35AM -0500, Peterson Eric-EEP002 wrote:
> Okay, that I can understand. But why does the Marker layer seem to
> behave properly but the Vector layer doesn't?

Markers ask the Google layer for a position -- vectors don't, because
vectors can contain several orders of magnitude more points to query
for, and asking Google for a position is slow.

I considered implementing this for vector support -- asking the base
layer for the correct location -- but in testing, it was up to 40%
slower at drawing vectors.

The SphericalMercator solution allows us to interact with Google in the
projection that the map is actually in, rather than the projection
presented through the API, which has a lot of positive effects.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta