[OpenLayers-Users] GUI frameworks

Eric Lemoine eric.c2c at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 11:15:20 EDT 2007

On 10/1/07, Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS) <bartvde at osgis.nl> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I just read on Sean Gillies' blog that Cartoweb 4 has chosen Dojo to build
> applications around OpenLayers.
>
> I am also in the phase of choosing a GUI js framework, and for me it seems
> Ext JS is the best choice (http://www.extjs.com), but then again it seems a
> shame to be working on several frameworks once again ....
>
> Can anybody (from the Cartoweb team) elaborate on the choice for Dojo?

When we first looked at those frameworks Dojo came out as the winner.
I've just spent some time looking at Ext, it looks really good: well
documented, designed and packaged. One thing that Ext doesn't have
though is the concept of HTML template. With Dojo you can associate
your js class with an HTML template. And you can easily associate DOM
elements of that template to attributes of the js class, as well as
associate DOM event callback to methods of the class. Something I
haven't found in Ext.

--
Eric