[OpenLayers-Users] OpenLayers Proxying in IIS

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Sun Oct 7 16:36:37 EDT 2007

Christopher Schmidt wrote:

> Is there a free version of IIS? I have a Windows XP desktop sitting on
> my machine: I could see if it's possible to set this up.

If you have Windows XP Professional, it's available in 'Add or Remove
Programs/ and the 'Add Remove Windows Components'. I'm not sure if it's
available in other Windows XP versions though?

Below is some part of a mail I wrote trying to help somebody with
IIS5(==IIS in XP, IIS6 is in WindowsServer) and tilecache. Maybe it's
helpfull here?

First to check: can you run python as cgi's in your IIS?
- I've been looking for metabase.xml also, but I think it's IIS6 only??
- You either have to move stuff to the 'Scripts' directory, OR give the
right properties to your tilecache-virtual directory. The most important
one: tell IIS to use python.exe when called a *.cgi or *.py file:
- in the Internet Information Services window, right-clicking on your
python (or tilechache) virtual directory, and see the properties:
In my config it shows:
- in Execution Permissions: 'Scripts and Executables'
AND I added (via button Configuration) the right 'handler' for *.py
files in that dir by adding: the extension
.cgi
and executable path ( mind the %s !! and the quotes because of the spaces)
"C:\Program Files\Python25\python.exe" %s
AND the extension
.py
and the same executable path (to be able to call *.py files and
*.cgi-files in this directory (because tilecache uses cgi-extension).

now put a test python file (call it test.cgi or test.py) in your
directory, and check IF it's called as a python script. Eg. save the
following in the dir (by the way: don't bother the #! line with the
wrong python path: IIS ignores that apparently??):

#!/usr/bin/env python
print "Content-Type: text/html"
print
print """\
<h2>Hello World!</h2>
"""

If that is working (aka: you see Hello World!) in you browser, you can
move on to the next level: configuration of Tilecache. Which looks fine
to me actually.

Some checkpoints:
- look in you mapserver (or IIS) logfiles IF the tilecache cgi is
calling your mapserver in the right way (by the way your IIS logfiles
are somewhere like: C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\W3SVC1\... )
- taking the mapserver url's from your logs: is mapserver serving the
right images if called directly?

<<<<<

Grtz
Richard Duivenvoorde