[OpenLayers-Users] vector functions, limitations of the browsers

Arnd Wippermann arnd.wippermann at web.de
Mon Oct 15 13:59:19 EDT 2007

Hello,

to test the capabilities of the OpenLayers vector functionality I have build
some example. I am impressed, what currently is possible.

Also there seem to be some limitations:

1. Center with FF and IE
on high zoomlevels the browsers have problems to change to the new center,
when a vector layer with features all over the world are visible.
(be calm, they come back after a while). On low zoomlevels the browsers
center right away.

2. Displaying Vector Features with FF
FF has problems to show kml-layers with large extents (or many points?).
I have a layer World.
The layer is created as GML-layer with the kml-file OL_World_to.kml. With FF
there ar no features on the layer. Obviously the kml-file is not loaded.
The layer WFS Layer Poly shows the same geometry as the kml-file

IE6 shows the kml-file in the correct way.

3. Modify Tool with IE6
The keybord functions ('d', 'del' and 'k') don't work.

Are the points 1 and 2 limitations of the svg-renderer or can the problem
solved with OpenLayers?

Point 3 I would think, OpenLayers is missing something.

This is the link to the example:
http://gis.ibbeck.de/ginfo/apps/OLExamples/SphericalMercator/OL_900913_frame
s.html

To show and generate the kml-files, I have used a patch to calculate the
right coordinates (EPSG:4326 to EPSG:900913 and back with the
forwardMercator and inverseMercator functions of OL).

Mit freundlichen Grüssen

Arnd Wippermann
http://gis.ibbeck.de/ginfo/