[OpenLayers-Users] on line geocoding services

Dr. Franz-Josef Behr franz-josef.behr at hft-stuttgart.de
Tue Oct 16 11:41:10 EDT 2007

If we talk about open / free services I'd like to point to
http://www.opengeocoding.org.

In contrast to commercial solutions, this project (the result of a
Master's thesis at our University) aims to implement a free,
participatory, community oriented geocoding service. On the one hand,
registered users can submit address information and corresponding
coordinates. Special attention is given to their validation to prevent
spamming by comparison to existing data on country, province, city and
street level. Alternatively, users can use a Web map to digitize the
location, supported by AJAX based techniques for map display and
autocompletion. After successful validation, address and coordinates are
saved into the database.

Based on this data, geocoding services for postal addresses is offered
free of charge through a number of REST based web services providing
results in XML, KML, GML, and JSON format.

The geocoding application does not rely only to its internal database
filled by the community. If no relevant results can be gained from the
internal database, the request will be forwarded to other publicly
available geocoding services. The result will be checked, parsed, and
forwarded to the user.

While commercial solutions concentrate on industrial countries, this
service aims particularly offering geocoding for developing countries.

Up to now there are not so much locations in the DB as I expected. But I
hope for further growth!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Regards / Cordialement

Franz-Josef Behr

What does education often do?
It makes a straight-cut ditch of a free, meandering brook.
                    H.D. THOREAU
Prof. Dr. Franz-Josef Behr - Home Office
Author of: Strategisches GIS-Management - http://www.gis-management.de
eMail: franz-josef.behr at hft-stuttgart.de
http://www.gis-news.de
Tel: +49 (0)721 / 453980-1 sowie 45 33 35
Fax: +49 (0)721 / 453980-7 sowie via web.de: +49 (0)1212-5-12048213