[OpenLayers-Users] redirected maprequests

Arnd Wippermann arnd.wippermann at web.de
Tue Oct 16 15:42:15 EDT 2007

With overwriting OpenLayers.Util.getParameterString to prevent the encoding
the WMS
http://milntj34.rivm.nl/wmsconnector/com.esri.wms.Esrimap/schiphol2005_a?req
uest=getcapabilities&service=wms delivers the map.

>From WMS specification 1.1.1:

6.2.1 Reserved characters in HTTP GET URLs
The URL specification [IETF RFC 2396] reserves particular characters as
significant and
requires that these be escaped when they might conflict with their defined
usage.  The
present WMS specification explicitly reserves several of these characters
for use in the
query portion of HTTP GET requests.  When the characters "?", "&", "=", "/",
appear in one of the roles defined in Table 1, they are to appear literally
in the URL.
When such characters appear elsewhere (for example, in the value of a
parameter), they
are to be encoded as defined in [IETF RFC 2396].

This means the OpenLayers API is wrong to encode image/png or EPSG:4326 etc.

Mit freundlichen Grüssen

Arnd Wippermann
http://gis.ibbeck.de/ginfo/