[OpenLayers-Users] Fwd: WMS layer getDataExtent?

Alessandro Pasotti ale.pas at tiscali.it
Thu Oct 25 05:31:49 EDT 2007

Il giovedì 25 ottobre 2007, Marc Jansen ha scritto:
> Hi Alessandro,
>
> I'm also new to the list, but at least this response will get you some
> more attention ;-)
>
> As stated in the docs, OpenLayers.Layer.getDataExtent() is to be
> implemented by the subclasses of layer.
>
> For layers.WMS this is not the case
> (http://dev.openlayers.org/docs/files/OpenLayers/Layer/WMS-js.html) but
> e.g for Layers.Markers
> (http://dev.openlayers.org/docs/files/OpenLayers/Layer/Markers-js.html#Open
>Layers.Layer.Markers.getDataExtent) the method is defined.
>
> I hope this helped a little bit, but keep in mind that this email is
> coming from a novice.
>
> See you over at mapstorer...
> ... Marc

Thanks Marc,

I also read the API docs, and guessed it was not yet implemented, but maybe
somebody on the ol list is working on this.

I always want to be sure we don't duplicate efforts before start coding.

That said, I think it would be a nice feature, specifying bbox every time you
add a WMS layer is tedious and error prone expecially if you do it
dynamically.

I hope some ol guru will give me some more hints on this topic.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
itOpen - "Open Solutions for the Net Age"