[OpenLayers-Users] OL Vector Layer: What are the Limitations?

Erik Uzureau erik.uzureau at metacarta.com
Thu Oct 25 20:16:33 EDT 2007

Dear users, dev,

Someone asked me today what the max number of coordinates could be
drawn for a geometry with the OL Vector Layer and I did not know how
to really answer. I asked cr5 and he gave me some off the cuff
estimates, which I have added to the FAQ here:

http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/FrequentlyAskedQuestions#WhatisthemaximumnumberofCoordinatesFeaturesIcandrawwithaVectorlayer

Basically, he has suggested the following as upper bounds of reasonable use:

    * ~2500 Coordinates
    * ~100-200 Features (Since each geometry is rendered as a separate
DOM object, dragging and the like get seriously slowed down the more
features you have on the map.)

If you've been using the vector layers in different browsers or with
different limits... please let us know by either replying to this
email... or just going right in and directly ediitng the wiki itself.
The more input we have the better we know our own limits.

Thanks for anyone who can chime in
--Erik