[OpenLayers-Users] Flash application sort of like OpenLayers

Anselm Hook anselm at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 14:06:21 EDT 2007

> And unlike open layers is against the terms of use and other
> policies of most of the map tile providers.
>
> Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
> > Here is an interesting link:
> >
> > http://www.flashearth.com/

I just started a flash tile mapping project here with both 2d and 3d
modes.  It would be an ideal if it could go down the same path as
openlayers...    For this to happen it needs other contributers I
feel.

Also the same source depo has a port to opengl and a port to the
iphone as a native app.

Here's my post to geowanking last week:

*

I'm looking for developers who are interested in helping build this
globe application out.

Here's a pre-alpha release of a flash based 3d globe with WMS support:

  http://meadanglobe.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/

There's still significant work to do including:

   + synchronizing the camera viewing frustrum with the arcball with
the update regions and with the zoom
   + dealing with a troublesome problem of illegal tiles and tilecache
(right now it is hooked up to my wms server at http://civicmaps.org
which is very slow)
   + doing something with the georss feeds other than just reading them in

A rough preview of an earlier rev is at

   http://hook.org/anselm/projects/20070901_MeadanGlobe/globe/bin/globe.html

This is of course acknowledging the earlier work of:

  http://freeearth.poly9.com/

This work is BSD licensed and is funded by Meadan Inc. as a
visualization tool for a product we are developing.

If you are interested in helping please contact me.

 - anselm