[OpenLayers-Users] Point size and color picker for Editing tool

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Sep 6 15:43:27 EDT 2007

On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 02:33:23PM -0500, Chris Hardin wrote:
> Is there a way to add a color picker and a point size palette for the
> EditingTool? It would be nice to be able to pick the color and the
> stroke radius from the user perspective.

Patches graciously accepted.

My personal experience is that this is not best implemented inside the
editing toolbar: instead, it is best implemented outside that realm, and
then the preFeatureInsert on the layer can be used to apply that style
before it is sent to the layer.

http://featureserver.org/demo.html does some of this, though only after
you save the feature to the server, and it makes you type the colors in
yourself rather than using a color selector -- but without a strongly
convincing proof of concept, I'm of the opinion that in general, it's
better to build a UI outside of OpenLayers and use the API mechanisms
for implementing the changing of the style attributes of the features.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta