[OpenLayers-Users] Good service for Canadian Topo maps?

Linda_Rawson linda.rawson at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 13:44:12 EDT 2007

I just wanted to add to this message more information I found out.

Hello;

I work for the Atlas of Canada and have been asked to respond to your
question about the scale of data used in the Toporama application and the
data layers available from the Atlas of Canada's WMS.  As you correctly
point out, the level of detail in the Toporama application is much greater
than the data layers available from the Atlas of Canada's WMS.  The Toporama
application uses data layers from the Atlas of Canada's WMS and several
other WMSs.  The detailed information that is visible in Toporama maps at
"low scale/zoom" views are obtained from the GeoBase WMS (road information)
and the National Topographic Data Base (NTDB) WMS (rivers, lakes, manmade
features, relief, etc.)

Both of these WMS's are public and thus clients can submit requests to both
WMSs.  See the following URLS for information on the WMSs:

http://wms.cits.rncan.gc.ca/wms/en/index.html
http://www.geobase.ca/geobase/en/wms/index.html;jsessionid=C16FFB66436AF6FF1BDD4A3D12B793D4

You will have to access these WMSs if you wish to request the detailed
layers visible in the Toporama application.  Those layers are not available
from the Atlas of Canada's WMS.

You should be aware that while the Toporama application uses data from the
NTDB, it uses a private WMS that is not publicly available.  That same data
is used by both the private and public WMSs, but there are a number of
changes to the symbolization in the private WMS.  Thus, a layer requested
from the public WMS may be symbolized differently than the private WMS.  In
addition, there are layers in the private WMS (mostly dealing with whether
there is 250K or 50K data available in a particular area or not) that are
not available in the public WMS.

In case you are interested, there is work under way to incorporate Natural
Resources Canada's new CanVec data product into the Toporama application.
CanVec data will replace the traditional 50K NTDB layers used in Toporama.
In addition there is also work underway to update the place names in the
CanVec product with the associated names in the Canadian Geographic Names
Data Base (CGNDB).  This update will improve the alignment of names that
appear in Toporama with the CGNDB.

The official plan is to incorporate the CanVec and CGNDB changes into a new
WMS that has the styling used in the private WMS.  That WMS will become
public and the previously public WMS will no longer be available.  I cannot
provide a definite deployment date for the new WMS.  It should be deployed
sometime in late 2007 or early 2008.

Hopefully I have answered the questions in your email.  If not feel free to
contact me.

Peter Bruton
Atlas of Canada

Last Name: Rawson
First Name: Linda
Organization / Occupation: Software Engineer
E-mail: linda.rawson at gmail.com

Comments:

I see here in your application ->
http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/english/maps/topo/map?mapsize=750+666&scale=41999999.609857&mapxy=431723.7335280371+1853273.7664719633&mode=zoomin&layers=north_arrow%20other_features%20million_grid%20t50k_grid%20grid_50k_3%20roads%20hydrography%20boundary%20builtup%20vegetation%20populated_places%20railway%20power_network%20manmade_features%20designated_areas%20water_features%20water_saturated_soils%20relief%20contours%20toponymy%20contour%20nodata_ntdb_50k

All of these layers available at a pretty low scale/zoom layer.

I do not see the correlation between these and your specification here ->
http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/english/dataservices/web_map_service.html#requests

Do they indeed look at the same database?  What can I do with your interface
to see the same layers in your WMS specification?

Thanks,
Linda Rawson