[OpenLayers-Users] Automatic links the Yahoo way

Lance Dyas lancelot at inetnebr.com
Wed Sep 12 09:57:35 EDT 2007

Jochen Topf wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 06:07:43PM -0700, mcarsel wrote:
>
>> Has anyone implemented a way to automatically update the url in openlayers
>> every time a user zooms or pans similar to the way Yahoo does it?
>> Sample here:
>> http://maps.yahoo.com/beta/#mvt=m&trf=0&lon=-94.350586&lat=38.169114&mag=14
>> http://maps.yahoo.com/beta/#mvt=m&trf=0&lon=-94.350586&lat=38.169114&mag=14
>>
>> I saw a ticket about 4 months ago (#723) that proposed this as a new feature
>> in openlayers, but didn't see anything come of it.

>> does it would be much better.
>>

> Cool idea. I don't think it should be part of OpenLayers itself, though.

Why? part of the point of doing it is that we can re-enable the browser
back button and make bookmarking the natural way without artificial
behaviors on the users part ... and that is a good thing it means no
learning
new stuff to use your web map
> It can easly be done outside the core. I have implemented it quickly at
> http://geo.topf.org/map/indexhash.html and it seems to work.

You only did part of it... you need a timer that checks when the user
goes back or forward
or manually changes the hash that the map responds to it