[OpenLayers-Users] Extensions on OpenLayers code

Linda Rawson linda.rawson at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 12:57:31 EDT 2008

I have several custom enhancements I have made to the source code.  With the
onset of a new release I would like to put these in a separate file and
"override" the code that is in the release.  For instance I might want to
add the following function, just an example, it might already be in there to
Map.js

getLayerByName: function(name) {
       var foundLayer = null;
       for (var i = 0; i < this.layers.length; i++) {
           var layer = this.layers[i];
           if (layer.name == name) {
               foundLayer = layer;
       return foundLayer;
   },
Would I do something like the following in a .js file to be called after
Openlayers.js?

Map.prototype.getLayerByName=function(name) {
       var foundLayer = null;
       for (var i = 0; i < this.layers.length; i++) {
           var layer = this.layers[i];
           if (layer.name == name) {
               foundLayer = layer;
       return foundLayer;