[OpenLayers-Users] GDAL2Tiles

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Apr 2 15:15:19 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 07:54:20PM +0100, Bjorn Sandvik wrote:
> This is the code generated by gdal2tiles:
> http://www.thematicmapping.org/maptiles/naturalearth/openlayers.html
> Only pixel based view is supported, which makes is difficult to combine
> map tiles with other data layers.

I saw this same thing mentioned in some blog posting somewhere, and I
thought "huh, someone is confused": in fact, this lines up exactly with
the TMS spec, and can be used with practically no changes by the default
TMS layer:

http://crschmidt.net/mapping/naturalearth.html

 You just need to specify a serviceVersion of '.' .  (This is pulled
 almost exactly from the TMS example that ships with OpenLayers.)

> Is there an alternative way of loading map tiles?

Other than the TMS layer?

> Or is there a better alternative to gdal2tiles?

None needed, so far as I can tell.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta