[OpenLayers-Users] FW: Where are the 2.5 API docs?????

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Apr 8 07:37:20 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 11:53:47AM +0200, Barend Kobben wrote:
> PLEASE guys, can you please indicate the version clearly this on the actual
> pages, or at very least clearly in the URL. I have been falling into the
> same trap as I am sure have many many others. Please rememeber not everyone
> of your users is an on-the-edge-latest-stuff developer, we just want to
> build real life apps that work and for which we can find information that as
> much as possible is actually useful.
>
> I think OL is one of the best things coming out of the FOSS community, but
> you make it quite hard for beginners to get on board...

Okay, so what should we do? What would be more helpful to you?

My standard assumption is that anyone using OpenLayers seriously is
going to download the code. With the code ships a full set of
documentation in the 'doc' directory. If you read those, they are teh
docs for the version you downloaded.

Apparently this isn't the case.

Note that before a couple months ago, we didn't *have* versioned docs:
this is an improvement in our process, which is constantly evolving.
Although I understand that you are frustrated, there is only so much
developer time that can be invested into things like this without
negatively impacting active development of the project: doubly so
because, at the moment, I'm one of two people with access to change
things on the server.

Direction on exactly what you think would be more useful than the
current situation would be helpful: What text you would change, what
link you would change, etc. This is much more helpful than claiming "You
must do better!": to be honest, a fair amount, if not all, of the code
for the website is in svn, so if you have a problem that you think you
can change, the answer is the same as always:

  "Patches welcome."

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta