[OpenLayers-Users] [Feature style] Dashed border style

MilesTogoe miles.togoe at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 16:48:23 EDT 2008

Pierre GIRAUD wrote:
> Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that this is something OpenLayers will
> never address.
> The main reason is that OpenLayers vector renderers rely on SVG for
> Firefox/Safari browsers and VML for InternetExplorer.
> I had a look into it a while ago, and, as far as I know, none of those
> browsers rendering engine support border styles (pattern).
>
> As for Firefox, patterns are supported by SVG but Firefox doesn't
> implement the patterns.
> http://developer-stage.mozilla.org/en/docs/SVG_in_Firefox

Huh ?  stroke patterns are supported in both SVG and Firefox(2.0.12
anyway).   Now a single stroke cannot have both solid fill and pattern
border however you can make a rectangle (or polygon, ellipse, ....) that
does have a solid fill and a stroke border that is dashed or whatever.
You can always test something in Inkscape to see how the SVG is rendered.