[OpenLayers-Users] layers drawing order

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Apr 10 17:27:51 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 11:21:52PM +0200, Guillaume Sueur wrote:
> 1. yes, but it should speed up the whole thing, not indicate a specific
> drawing order shouldn't it ? But, sure, I should do that anyway.

Yes.

> 2. that will change the organisation of the map, which is not the goal
> either.

Tht wasn't clear from your original message.

> would it be difficult to add a layer drawingOrder option and make the
> map render them in that order ?

Not extremely, but I don't know that it's worth it for OpenLayers core.
It would mean looping over all the layers more than once (once to build
the drawing order, once to actually call moveTo) in Map.moveTo. Also, it
wouldn't help once the layers start drawing, so if you add a layer, call
setCente,r then add another layer, it wouldn't help.

In any case, feel free to take a look at Map.oveTo and see if it makes
sense.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta