[OpenLayers-Users] [work] Best practices

bwoodall bwoodall at bwoodall.org
Thu Apr 17 16:51:41 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 12:54 -0400, Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 09:15:41AM -0700, Tara Athan wrote:
> >  From my perspective as a struggling user, this is a GREAT idea! I will
> > be happy to contribute to maintenance, and eventually to content,
> > although at the moment I think my practices are better characterized as
> > "worst" rather than "best".
> >
> > Along this same line of thought, I am wondering why OpenLayers doesn't
> > have a Documentation Team (distinct from the developers). There is a
> > need to provide more help to the lower-level users, and documentation
> > written by the developer tends to be difficult for these users because
> > the developer is so familiar with the application that they tend to
> > leave out or gloss over a lot of details that are obvious to them, but
> > not to the rest of us.
>
> Because you haven't started one yet :) Are you looking to manage the
> Documentation team? What tools are you missing?

Several of us, have made efforts to add more docs in the form of "User
Recipes" ( How someone has accomplished a task ) which is found under
the both "User" and "Developers" headings on
http://trac.openlayers.org/

The thought was to make the recipes a narrative of the code, unlike the
examples which are typically sparse in their comments and more exactly
can be found at
http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/UserRecipes

Then another effort was to catalog the different projects (maybe a
better name can be found) that are under development,
http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/ProjectsUnderDev

That page does have a Documentation with an ongoing effort on how to
optimize OL  and hopefully more content in the future.

.....Bill,