[OpenLayers-Users] tile server for custom tiles always needed?

Jens Herrmann openlayers at bikelab.org
Thu Aug 7 04:09:32 EDT 2008

Hello,
I'm a beginner and I want to build a map mit openlayers based on my own
custom tiles I rendered with Mapnik. Do I have to set up a tile server
for this or is it possible to just give openlayers the path to the tile
directory?
On http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/OpenLayers_Simple_Example is
a short description which says that this can be done with a single line
(and some minor modifications):

var newLayer = new OpenLayers.Layer.OSM("New Layer", "path_to_tiles/",
{numZoomLevels: 19});

Unfortunately this doesnt work here and I could not find any other
reference. If this is possible, what would I have to do?

Regards
Jens