[OpenLayers-Users] Openlayers and draw a line with LatLon points

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Aug 7 08:09:22 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 10:22:33AM +0200, Jone Lura wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to know the LatLon of the start point and end point when drawing a line, to be able to calculate the distance for the line.
>
> If the line contains several points, it would be nice to know the location for every click and possible store them in an array.
>
> How is this possible?
If you use a DrawFeature control, it typically adds a line as a feature
to the given layer, which you can access via:

  layer.features[layer.features.length - 1]

Features have a geometry:

 http://dev.openlayers.org/apidocs/files/OpenLayers/Feature/Vector-js.html#OpenLayers.Feature.Vector.geometry

Which (if it's a LineString) inherits from Collection, and therefore
has components:

 http://dev.openlayers.org/apidocs/files/OpenLayers/Geometry/Collection-js.html#OpenLayers.Geometry.Collection.components

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta