[OpenLayers-Users] Open source WMS/TMS with arbitrary maps

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Aug 14 15:37:47 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 01:32:05PM -0500, James S. White wrote:
> I'm looking for an openlayers back-end that can carve-up (tile) and serve
> arbitrary (large) png images. I plan to use it for network maps (dia/visio
> style) Does such a beast exist? Or do I need to crack open the OpenGIS API
> and write one?

gdal2tiles. Make an image GDAL can read, and gdal2tiles can chop the
images up and put them into a TMS-like structure, with a pre-built
OpenLayers map all set up for you.

(No need for TileCache, as recommended by Gregor, but it can do the same
thing, and might be better if your images are *really* giant, on the
order of multiple gigabytes, since you don't need to pre-cache
everything... IT will generate tiles as you drag.)

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta