[OpenLayers-Users] custom projection: what OL classes would be affected?

Mike Quentel mquentel at rim.com
Fri Aug 22 11:51:13 EDT 2008

The proprietary map server software developed by my employer uses a
patented custom projection, called "Spherical Correction".  This
projection algorithm reduces computational effort through a 3 x 3
transformation matrix that uses the cosine of the latitude, from 0 to 41
degrees north or south of the equator (ie, the absolute value of the
angle), to result in a compression of lines of longitude (ie, "packing"
more lines of longitude into a map as the absolute latitude increases up
to 41 degrees).  The 41 degree cutoff is solely for aesthetic reasons.
The ultimate purpose behind this Spherical Correction projection is to
have a less computationally expensive way of projecting the map, rather
than using a Mercator projection.  Originally, this projection was
developed for use on mobile devices.

The map server software was developed in-house, and is not available
outside the company.

So, to get tiling to function properly with this proprietary map server,
I turned off the projection engine so the maps are essentially
geographic/unprojected, looking much like EPSG 4326.  Using some
calculations for the representative fractions of each zoom level, I was
able to get OpenLayers tiling to successfully work with the
non-Spherical Correction (ie, got it to work with unprojected maps).

Now I need to modify some classes in OL to work with this Spherical
Correction projection.  Please, does anyone have a list of classes that
would be affected by the use of such a custom projection?  I need to
modify the tiling so that it adjusts the bounding box left and right to
correspond to the longitudinal packing that occurs as the absolute
latitude increases.  But I think I will need to also modify classes
pertaining to mouse coordinate capture and more.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Mike Quentel