[OpenLayers-Users] Get lat/lon from pixel coordinates via a webservice?

David Percy percyd at pdx.edu
Sat Aug 23 13:23:18 EDT 2008

Actually, in the "old days" of web mapping (up until 2 or 3 years ago?)
the way we did that was to treat the map image like a big submit button,
which passed the x-y image coordinates back to a CGI program which then
converted these image coordinates to geographic coordinates and
responded appropriately.

You can do everything you are trying to do in a VERY low-bandwidth way
with Mapserver!

I would also recommend a book like Tyler Mitchell's Web Mapping,
everything you'll need to deal with this stuff is in there including the
code to do the planar math that Chris refered to.
Cheers,
Percy