[OpenLayers-Users] Prototype using TinyOWS for WFS-T - in OL Gallery ?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Dec 2 10:06:03 EST 2008

On Tue, Dec 02, 2008 at 09:38:03AM -0500, Alexandre Dube wrote:
> Hi list,
>
>   I just finished an OpenLayers application that uses TinyOWS to do some
> WFS-T.  It's more a prototype than a real-life tool, so I was wondering
> if it would have its place among the OpenLayers Gallery examples.  What
> do think ?

In general, I don't see prototypes as fitting best within the OpenLayers
gallery. The gallery is more designed for completed applicatinos which
have been 'released' to users, rather than demos.

The key questions about any page that gets associated with an OpenLayers
wiki page, gallery page, etc. is (in my mind): What does this give to
users? I don't see that the current BGDA demo provides a lot to users:
It doens't seem to provide a particularly compelling/exciting interface,
or any especially new/exciting features.

Simply being set up against tinyows sounds like it might be interesting
as a demo of TinyOWS, but not particularly of OpenLayers.

Maybe there is more here than meets the eye: since the demo doesn't work
well in FF3 or Safari, it's hard for me to know. (Downloading more
browsers just to test it out ain't happening ;))

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta