[OpenLayers-Users] Prototype using TinyOWS for WFS-T - in OL Gallery ?

Alexandre Dube adube at mapgears.com
Thu Dec 4 08:41:32 EST 2008

Christopher Schmidt wrote:

> The key questions about any page that gets associated with an OpenLayers
> wiki page, gallery page, etc. is (in my mind): What does this give to
> users? I don't see that the current BGDA demo provides a lot to users:
> It doens't seem to provide a particularly compelling/exciting interface,
> or any especially new/exciting features.

Well, now that the little z-index bug is solved you can see more of the
actual new features :

http://dev4.mapgears.com/bdga/bdgaWFS-T.html

- Layer.WFS regions :
At the first 4 zoom levels, there are vector regions. Each level comes
from a different data source and there's only one in the layer switcher
controlling them. Also, when you mouse-over them, their opacity changes.
But, if you zoom while one of them has its opacity changed, the feature
of the next level will still have its opacity changed.

- 4 regions from same data source :
The 4 shapefiles data of thoses 4 regions come from the same source, but
have been normalized by a small script I wrote to diminish their number
of points given a specific resolution value, or else the data would take
too much time to load.

- Delete control :
It's a small but interesting feature : when you want to delete, select
one road by clicking on it or select more than one by holding ctrl key.

- Print tool :
I know it's not much, but it's an idea that can be expanded. I know a
web map printing tool doesn't seem really interesting, but I had some
good comments about it. So, there a small need here.

- City search :
Done by a small phpmapscript script which returns all cities and their
geometry (point features) as a sample format.text ( faster that way ).
Useful for fast browsing. It could also have a text input the user could
write down the city to go to and search among that small list and
returns the possibilities...

Well, my main goal was to share what I've done in hope that someone
would find something useful or interesting.

Alexandre Dubé
Mapgears
www.mapgears.com