[OpenLayers-Users] General question and GML question

Ken Sanderson ken at rockies.ca
Fri Dec 5 10:42:30 EST 2008

Hi everyone, this is about my third time giving OpenLayers a try and
this time I thought I would bite the bullet and ask some questions
instead of just going back to my mapserver setup.

First a general best approach question. What I want to do is use google
data and put a simple polygon boundary on top. That boundary is
currently in a shape file. My thinking was to convert the shp file to
gml and just add it as a layer. I have since read that this maybe
tricker then I thought as google data is in a mercator projection that
does not have an EPSG code. So then I thought I would just create the
projection and project my data to match it in another application before
converting it to gml.

So my question, is this the best approach, or is there a better way? I
could use WMS, but I prefer not to require a wms server to host the
local data.

Second more specific to the use of GML layers. I converted my shp file
to GML using gvSIG and in another attempt shp2gml from spatial order. I
cannot get my GML file to be viewable. Thinking it might be a projection
issue I thought I would just display my GML file on its own, to avoid
any conflicting projections, but that hasnt worked either. Using the
gml-layer.html example I tried to work backwards and put my GML file in
there, no luck.

So my two part question in this regard is: Is there a required element
in the GML file that perhaps my GML files are missing? With the
gml-layer.html example, if I remove the WMS base layer it will stop
displaying the example GML data. Why is that? How can I display GML data
by itself for testing purposes?

Thanks,

Ken

believed to be clean.