[OpenLayers-Users] OpenLayers Case Studies

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Sat Dec 20 11:48:22 EST 2008

Hi,

One comment I've gotten from people attempting to use OpenLayers in
large organizations is that there is not a sufficient demonstration of
OpenLayers usage in their environment.

One of the commonly mentioned ways to resolve this difficulty is "Case
Studies" -- expository pieces describing the use of OpenLayers within an
organization. Previously, we didn't really have a home for these kinds
of documents, so I hadn't pushed hard on them.

With the new OpenLayers documentation website, I think that we have a
possible home. (Others may disagree; I'm running with it for now.)

  http://docs.openlayers.org/casestudies/

Is a 'case studies' page. I've gotten the ball rolling by writing a case
study for EveryBlock, with the support of Paul Smith.

I'm interested in seeing more case studies written coming from
organizations using OpenLayers. Did you choose OpenLayers over Google
Maps -- or ESRI? Are you using OpenLayers in a way that helps save you
time or money? Do you work for a major organization, and have an
interesting use of OpenLayers?

I'd love to see more case studies like this written, and would be
willing to help people to get the text into place.

If you're interested in sharing your story, please feel free to contact
the mailing list. (If you feel uncomfortable sharing your story to the
public for now, you can also contact me directly, but the mailing list
is always a better place to start.)

Looking forward to feedback on the existing case study, or feedback from
you if you think your organization can be a case study.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta