[OpenLayers-Users] Zoom to a region using drop down selection box

Andrew de Klerk andrew.deklerk at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 03:04:15 EST 2008

Sindile

The filtering of your dropdowns would have to be done in the backend outside
of openlayers. That is, in your database design you would need to associate
municipalities with specific provinces, and towns with specific
municipalities. When a user selects a province the dropdown would then only
display those municipalities associated with the province. The same goes for
the selection of a municipality. Your markers would then also be associated
with a particular town. When a particular town is selected you would display
those associated markers. With regards to zoom to the extents of each of the
provinces and municipalities, You would need to associate a Centroid and
Zoom level with each of these items. Openlayers will not assist you in
"zooming to an polygon extent" (except for vectors of course).

Hope that helps

Andrew