[OpenLayers-Users] WMS ligthness vs. WFS overlay

Paul Spencer pagameba at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 16:54:59 EST 2008

I always thought that WMS was intended for visualization and WFS was
intended for feature access/query type operations.  I think using WFS
for visualization in a web client is always going to have a drawback
in this respect (too much data overwhelms the browser).  It also has
some advantages, obviously, so which you use really depends on your
use case.  WMS servers often don't support customization of styling
and you have to resort to WFS plus some rendering engine like
MapServer (or as client-side vectors in OpenLayer) to get your own
look and feel.  Editing is another case for WFS.  And finally, once
you have the data in WFS, you don't need to request it again whereas
WMS you typically need to re-request the same data for relatively
minor changes in extent - this is what cacheable WMS (tiles) partly
solves.

Cheers

Paul