[OpenLayers-Users] Selecting a country

David Pruitt d.pru at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 7 01:44:51 EST 2008

That looks perfect!  Thanks for that tip.

David> Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 07:42:48 +0100> From: penyaskito at gmail.com> To: d.pru at hotmail.com> Subject: Re: [OpenLayers-Users] Selecting a country> CC: users at openlayers.org> > You should use the webservices at http://www.geonames.org/export> > As example, I live here :-)> http://ws.geonames.org/findNearbyPlaceNameJSON?lat=37.867&lng=-5.6> > You can make great things using this and an AJAX request.> Hope this helps.> > On Jan 7, 2008 7:05 AM, David Pruitt <d.pru at hotmail.com> wrote:> >> > Well, there are a few reasons why using MapServer is out of the question.> >> > 1. I am running my mapping application on some server space that I have on> > the computer science servers here on campus. Although I am granted server> > space, I obviously have no ability to change the settings to Apache or put> > MapServer into the cgi-bin of Apache. Therefore, although I can run PHP> > scripts (which I do), running something like MapServer is out of the> > question.> >> > 2. I am running Apache on my personal machine....and so of course I could> > install MapServer on here, but my personal machine is not the "production> > environment"...it is simply the testing environment. The production> > environment is my server space on the CS servers - and if I can't run> > MapServer on those servers, there is no point running it on my test server> > (my personal computer).> >> > 3. Even if I did have access to a production server where I could configure> > Apache how I wanted it to be - I am completely unfamiliar with MapServer and> > WMS requests - although I am very familiar with HTTP requests and networking> > in general. WMS is simply a protocol I don't know. In addition, I don't> > know how to create a map that would work with MapServer.> >> > Consequently:> >> > I am currently using the free map available at:> >> > http://labs.metacarta.com/wms/vmap0?> >> > Which is also used in many of the OpenLayers demos. I am thinking, however,> > of using Google Maps possibly, but I am not sure yet.> >> > So this is my dilemma: Under these circumstances, how can I recognize which> > country a user has clicked on the map?> >> > Several months ago at work I made a simple mapping application in Flash (at> > which time I didn't even know OpenLayers or MapServer existed). For that> > mapping application we simply overlayed an image of each country on top of> > itself on the world map, and then the overlayed image acted as a button -> > thus making it quite simple to tell which country had been clicked. I was> > hoping to do something similar with OpenLayers in this mapping application> > that I am currently building, but using the "Features" in OpenLayers to> > create polygons that I could overlay over each country - and essentially> > have each polygon act as a button so I could tell which country had been> > clicked. I noticed however, that if I held my mouse button down on one of> > these polygons, I could no longer pan around the map...which is definitely a> > problem.> >> > How does the example map at http://world.freemap.in/ accomplish this task?> > I looked at the code, and although I am new to OpenLayers and this whole WMS> > thing...it seems like it is making some WMS requests to a MapServer server.> >> > Thanks for any help.> >> > David> >> > > Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 06:42:27 +0100> > > From: eric.c2c at gmail.com> > > To: d.pru at hotmail.com> > > Subject: Re: [OpenLayers-Users] Selecting a country> > > CC: users at openlayers.org> > >> > > On Jan 7, 2008 3:22 AM, David Pruitt <d.pru at hotmail.com> wrote:> > > >> > > > Let's say I have a user who is looking at my map, and clicks on a> > specific> > > > country. What is the best way to recognize which country he clicked on?> > > >> > > > I thought using features would be good, but a user can't pan around the> > map> > > > if he/she is holding down the mouse button on a feature.> > > >> > > > Is there any way to accomplish this WITHOUT using MapServer or GeoServer> > or> > > > something of that sort?> > >> > > Hello> > >> > > If the countries aren't rendered by the browser (and therefore you> > > don't have information about these countries on the client side) then> > > you need to send a request to some service to get information on the> > > clicked country. Have you had some other solution in mind?> > >> > > --> > > Eric> >> >> > ________________________________> > Make distant family not so distant with Windows Vista(R) + Windows Live™.> > Start now!> > _______________________________________________> > Users mailing list> > Users at openlayers.org> > http://openlayers.org/mailman/listinfo/users> >> >> > > > -- > Regards,> > Christian López Espínola