[OpenLayers-Users] OL and FS - puzzled

Brian Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Fri Jan 11 04:00:53 EST 2008

On Jan 10, 2008, at 11:24 PM, Brian Hamlin wrote:

> I have recently hooked up a trivial instance of FeatureServer against a
> PostGIS data source
> The WFS GML is being displayed in an OpenLayers display
>
> Why arent there as many markers showing in the window as are coming
> back from the server?
>
> I have maxfeatures set to 50...
> I can see the 50 features coming back as GML, and in fact I can see in
> the HTML tab of
> Firebug 50 elements in the SVG for the WFS layer.
> http;//sial.org/pbot/29762
>
> However, there are only 21 markers visible to me in the map div. Are
> they offscreen?

so yes, with a moments collected thought, I just added the standard svg
header around that svg node and yes, it displays in a browser window
standalone. I can now see that aside from the transform="scale(1,-1)"
there are no other tricky coords going on.. So then I can see that
indeed, many of the points, perhaps even 29 of them, are outside of the
viewing area in some way..

So the question simply becomes why?  pre-fetch for better browsing ?..

looks like the span of pts is roughly... double the dimensions ?
   or a buffer of 400-500 px worth ?

perhaps this is documented behavior, I just havent read everything yet

> insights, pointers welcome

-Brian