[OpenLayers-Users] Pink Tile Killing Me

Andrea Aime aaime at openplans.org
Sat Jan 12 18:31:43 EST 2008

Christopher Schmidt ha scritto:
> On Sat, Jan 12, 2008 at 11:58:38PM +0100, Andrea Aime wrote:
>> Lee Keel ha scritto:
>>> Hello list.  I am having a problem with pink tiles.
>>>
>>> Configuration: I am using OL 2.5, that I download from the link at
>>> http://www.openlayers.org/api/OpenLayers.js, with ms4w beta from Sept
>>> 10.  Running against Postgres.
>>
>>> I am open to any and all recommendations.  I was suppose to have this
>>> completed yesterday, but this is my last hurdle.  Granted it is one
>>> big hurdle.
>> There's a secret setting to solve this issue. Add the following to
>> your openlayers code:
>> OpenLayers.IMAGE_RELOAD_ATTEMPTS = 5;
>>
>> This will make OL try to download each tile 5 times before giving
>> up. Should help.
>
> "Secret"? I hope it's not secret -- what can we do to make it less
> secret?

Ha ha, mine was a bit of irony, I know it's not secret, but the
pink tile issue is common when using OL without a tilecache, and
it took me some time to find it as well (I think I hunted down
the problem with google and nabble, not sure).
I guess two things might help:
* make a pinktile.html example that people will surely look
   at when... they see pink tiles
* document the setting in the faq maybe :)

Cheers
Andrea