[OpenLayers-Users] need help with projection issues

O. Baum oli.b at freenet.de
Mon Jan 14 11:35:51 EST 2008

Hello Christopher,

thank you very much for Your quick reply!

Some clarification inline below...

On 2008/1/14, Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt at metacarta.com>:
> > What do I have to do to be able to use Geo-Lat/Long coordinates for
> > drawing on the Vector layer when I am using a Google Maps layer?
>
> There are two parts to this.
>
>   1. You'll almost definitely want to be using trunk, since it has
>       projection support, and 2.5 doesn't.

OK, I will get it via SVN.

>   2. It's not clear to me what 'use Geo-Lat/Long coordinates for
>      drawing" means, so it depends what stage you want to use them in.

I have some polyline data in the format of the geo-coordinates which
are used directly in Google Maps (guess they are called "Spherical
Mercator"). E.g., a line from (52.50953477032727, 13.38134765625) to
(48.850258199721495, 2.35107421875) reaches from Berlin to Paris. Now
I want to draw this line on an OpenLayers Vector layer when displaying
a Google Maps layer and switched to Spherical Mercator like described
in http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/SphericalMercator.

I suppose then this one of your proposals is the correct solution, is it?
> If you mean "How can I create features programatically using data in
> geographic coordinates", the answer is that you will (in trunk) create
> them, then, once your features are created, call
> feature.geometry.transform(new OpenLayers.Projection("EPSG:4326"), new
> OpenLayers.Projection("EPSG:900913")), before you add your features to
> the map.

With best regards,

   Oliver Baum