[OpenLayers-Users] Shifting a layer

Eric Jarvies ej at CSL.com.mx
Tue Jan 15 17:21:34 EST 2008

What Tyler suggests, is likely the problem.  I have the same issues
here in Mexico.  The US, IK, etc., are al very well mapped, which is
to say, so many third party resources utilize the maps in these
regions, that over time Google has corrected their raster/vector
sources.  About 2 months ago, Google implemented street level maps for
Mexico and most of central/south america.  First they start with
maps.google.com, and then mobile maps, and lastly they populate Google
Earth. At this point, they have not yet included Mexico into Google
Earth.  During this time, the Mexico street level maps have been
changed 4 times(that I know of), which is to say I noticed the maps
were offline for a period of time(hours, sometimes days), and also
noticed position changes across the entire territory, as well as
segmented changes.  These changes have resulted in sometimes the
street-level maps being 4 meters to the east of where satellite images
show the roads, and then 3 meters to the south/west, and so on.  Over
time they continue making improvements, and depending on the community
activity of the region, so depends the timeliness and accuracy of the
improvements.

I have had to create intentionally inaccurate maps in order to adjust
for Google's road positions, so the resulting vector overlay's would
be in-line with Google's Satellite street locations.

Eric