[OpenLayers-Users] Node has no parent exception when trying to draw Polygon

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Jan 17 13:30:33 EST 2008

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 10:25:09AM -0800, samd wrote:

> Hi, I originally had thought this but looking at the drawFeature function of
> OpenLayers.Control.DrawFeature on wiki it creates it.

Um. I don't know what you're trying to do, but using the drawFeature
control to add features to your layer is not the right solution.

>          var polygonAreaPoints = incidents[i].areaPoints;
>          var pointArray = new Array();
>
>          for ( var j = 0; j < polygonAreaPoints.length; j++ )
>          {
>             var x = polygonAreaPoints[j].x;
>             var y = polygonAreaPoints[j].y;
>
>             pointArray.push( new OpenLayers.Geometry.Point( x, y ) );
>          }
>
>          // Create the linear ring
>          var ring = new OpenLayers.Geometry.LinearRing( pointArray );
>
>          // Create the polygon
>          var feature = new OpenLayers.Geometry.Polygon( ring );
  -> now do this:
  var f = new OpenLayers.Feature.Vector(feature);
  layer.addFeatures(f);

where layer is a Layer.Vector which has been added to your map.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta