[OpenLayers-Users] SVG on Mobile Browsers

Matthew Pulis mpulis at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 07:57:47 EST 2008

Hi List,

Crschmidt suggested that OpenLayers need to use SVG Basic in order to render
the graphics.

After some research about how SVG is enabled on browsers (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_layout_engines_(SVG) ), one can
see that SVG Basic is supported by Gecko (Firefox's Engine) and almost fully
by Presto (Opera's Engine).

However the problem is when OpenLayers needs to be used on a Mobile Device.
I installed Opera Mobile, but crschmidt and also other research concluded
that Opera Mobile supports only SVG Tiny, and Opera developers do not
release any details about their projects.

Thus, I tried to work on compiling Minimo (Gecko's Mobile Browser) with SVG
support but am finding a lot of problems in doing so, so this fix is almost
impossible too.

Whilst testing on Opera Mobile, lite.html worked fine, and no errors +
rendering happened quite fast, however when I tried to access :
(http://boston.freemap.in/routing.html ) and some pages that I wrote
following this example, I get an error at the start of the script building,
map starts being built (no errors here) but when I click on the Start point
- error again. Map building took extremely long and a lot of CPU Power.

I am testing using a PocketPC Emulator with Windows Mobile 5.0 as OS.

I took also crschmidt's advice to check the OpenLayers code and see if I can
eliminate the SVG Basic support and just use SVG Tiny, but didn't much get
where to change, especially since my Javascript knowledge is at a really
newbie state!

Anyone has any idea how I can fix this situation please? Anyone else had the
same problem? If yes how did you solve it please? Is there any quick hack /
fix that you suggest me?

Any help will be extremely appreciated!!

Regards

Matthew

  _____

It has removed 20144 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter <http://www.spamfighter.com/len>  for free now!