[OpenLayers-Users] Firefox memory usage

Paul Spencer pagameba at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 20:03:28 EST 2008

The other issue for firefox 2 is that it decompresses all the tiles
and stores them as decompressed RGBA images in memory.  For a 256x256
pixel tile at 4 bytes per pixel, this works out to 260k per tile -
regardless of the original format.  Depending on the size of your
viewport and taking into consideration the buffer of tiles that OL
keeps outside the viewport, it is easy to have more than 100 tiles in
three layers, that's 260 MB of memory, just in tiles.  This is one of
the big issues fixed in firefox 3.  The same OL app running in firefox
3 only uses about 70-80 MB.

Cheers

Paul