[OpenLayers-Users] WMS servers/Brititish National Grid and Projection issues

Dave Potts dave.potts at pinan.co.uk
Tue Jul 15 01:58:57 EDT 2008

Hi

I am trying to view a shape file from a GeoServer(Release 1.64) WMs
server,  I can access the shapeview via udig, and Geoserver generates a
lot of logging messages describing the access attempt.

But if I attempt to access the same view via openlayer request, a
Javascript bounds error is reported( at line 1915, bounds=
getCenterLonLat). The shapefile uses the British Natonal Grid (EPSG 27700).

The stops if I remove the Zoom to Max Extent request

Openlayer correctly draws the conrols.

I belive that I correctly set the bounds object correctly for the Brtish
national grid.

What ever I do, no  access attempt is reported by the WMS server
implying that openlayers never makes a WMS request.

Has anybody any Idea what I am doing incorrectly?

DAVE
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<head>
#map {
width:500px;
height:250px;
border: 1px solid black;
}
<script src="js/lib/OpenLayers.js"> </script>
<script type="text/javascript">

var uk;

function init(){
           // create base map, set to BNG
           var map = new OpenLayers.Map('map',{

                   maxExtent: new OpenLayers.Bounds(0,0,5000000,6000000),
               units: 'meters',
                   maxResolution: 'auto',
               projection: 'EPSG:27700' });

        // access wms server
        uk = new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS("Kent WMS
layer","http://localhost:8080/geoserver/wms?"
                         ,{
                                layers: 'kentc:kent_boundry' ,
                                src: 'EPSG:27700' } );
        map.addLayers(uk);
        map.zoomToMaxExtent(new OpenLayers.Bounds(0,0,5000000,6000000));

        //  aDD controls
        map.addControl( new OpenLayers.Control.LayerSwitcher());
        map.addControl( new OpenLayers.Control.MousePosition());

}
</script>
<title>Hello world</title>
</head>