[OpenLayers-Users] AWS S3 Support for OpenLayers???

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue Jul 15 11:09:20 EDT 2008

Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 08:27:16AM -0400, Paul Spencer wrote:
>> Steve,
>>
>> I think you would need a specific layer type that supports S3.  If you
>> are using kaMap to generate the tiles (and the path to the tiles) then
>> you would probably want to start with the kaMap layer and modify or
>> subclass it to make the appropriate request directly from S3.
>> Conceptually, this is fairly trivial to do, you would just overload
>> the getURL function with something that generates a url to S3.
>
> In general, the problem here is just that the ka-Map Layer doesn't
> actually support the ka-Map disk-style caches (if it did, you could just
> cause it to read from the URL).
>
>> TileCache supports S3 as a cache, but I'm not sure if the TileCache
>> layer in OpenLayers can directly read them.
>
> No; the TileCache S3 support needs to be reworked. It was sort of a
> proof of concept that I didn't carry far enough.
>
> Regards,

Thanks.

I saw Chris' blogs on the TileCache stuff, but nothing on the OpenLayers
side. For ka-map caches I use mod_perl to rewrite the tile.php request
directly to a file and avoid tile.php completely, which is very fast if
the cache is pre-populated - but that will not work for S3 unless I use
my server to proxy all the requests to S3 which I do not think is desirable.

I will look into Paul's idea of sub-classing the kaMap layer and
reworking the getURL() to do what I need. You'll get a patch if I can
get something to work and probably some questions along the way :)

I appreciate the suggestions.

-Steve