[OpenLayers-Users] IE panning problem

Patrick Valsecchi patrick.valsecchi at camptocamp.com
Mon Jul 21 09:30:52 EDT 2008

On Monday 21 July 2008 14.36:36 Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> IE is slower,
> but not quite as slow as this
> But a link might help.

Hi,

I'd say it's slower than a normal user can cope, especially when zooming.

I have an OL (current SVN version) web site with a WMS base layer (tiled) and
a WMS alpha=true layer (not tiled). If I use IE6 and I try to zoom (small
click on the little + button), my navigator will freeze for some random time
between 3 and 60 seconds.

By freezing, I mean not refreshing the navigator window, not using CPU, just
doing nothing.

If I remove the alpha=true, then the website works like a champ appart from
the transparency being broken for my non-base layer.

Sorry, no public web site to show. But I attached a PNG returned for my second
layer (in attachement).

My current solution is not to use alpha=true at all. If you have to support
IE6, better switch to GIF and forget about alpha channels and the added
quality.

CU.